Thursday, October 18, 2012

Taco Thursday...

Hola chicas!! 
 
Hope your Thursday is going by quickly...I know we're all waiting on Friday to finally show it's beautiful face!  The next few weekends I have are booked with a lot of things to do...but trust me, I'm not complaining.  There's nothing better than familia, parties, and road trips.
 
Last night I made one of my all-time favorite dinners, chicken tacos.  They were complete yumminess, and I thought I'd share my recipe with you all.  Now, I know everyone has a different spin on this dish, as it's a pretty common meal en familias Latinos.  I used the WW Recipe Builder on eTools to create mine, so that it is PointsPlus friendly.  These tacos still have the same flavorful taste, just made a little healthier.
 
Ingredients:
(chicken taco filling)
 
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken breast
1 cup Spanish onion thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
garlic salt to taste
black pepper to taste
 
Begin by boiling the chicken for approximately 1 hour in slightly salted water, or until thoroughly cooked.  I used boneless/skinless chicken breast for my recipe simply because it's easier to work with, but bone-in chicken breast will work as well.  It is important to remove any skin before boiling though.  After they are done cooking, remove them from the water, and set them aside on a plate.  Also, think ahead chicas!  While the chicken is boiling, use that time to chop up any veggies you'll use for your tacos, or in my case last night, making a side dish like Spanish rice.  This can be a quick and easy meal if you prep prep prep.
 
Once the chicken breasts have cooled down enough for you handle, begin pulling them apart into thin shreds, or to your liking.  I usually do this by hand, and although it is a little more time consuming, the chicken stays a lot juicier this way once all the ingredients are added in.

Make sure the onion is thinly sliced, and the garlic is minced into tiny pieces.  This is what gives the chicken it's sabor chicas.

When you're ready, lightly coat a large skillet with non-stick spray and heat to medium.  Next, add in the chicken and let it cook for a few minutes, just so that it warms up.  After that, throw in the onions, garlic, and tomato sauce.  Mix well, and season to taste with garlic salt and black pepper.  Cook for approximately 5 more minutes while stirring occasionally, and it's ready!  Now serving sizes will vary, but using the Recipe Builder and my trusty scale, this is what I calculated:
 
PointsPlus Value= 3
Yields approximately 10 servings
Serving Size= 4.3 ounces
(yeessss I like to be exact lol)

Here is my finished product last night.  Like I mentioned above, I served my chicken tacos with a side of Spanish rice, which is how I grew up eating this dish.  I also chose to just warm my tortillas on a skillet, instead of the tradition to fry them.  Soo much healthier, and still sooo yummy.  All you have to do is add your own toppings, and you're set!
 
My plate above was suuuper filling, and totaled out to 10PP.
(1/2 cup Spanish rice= 3PP, 2 Tia Rosa red corn tortillas= 3PP, chicken filling= 3PP,
1/4 cup fat free cheese mix= 1PP, lettuce and tomato= 0PP)
 
For those of you who have never had these before, try them out!  I promise you're going to love them.  You can also try adding salsa, or even yummy avocado.  There's actually salsa on mine, but you can't see it, and I forgot to pick up some avocados at the grocery store, otherwise I would have had some too.  It goes greeeaaattt with these tacos.
 
I'm off for now chicas, but I hope I at least got you thinking about dinner tonight!!  Have a terrific Thursday!!
 
 
Be blessed...and stay blessed!!!
 
xoxo,
❤Nica


2 comments:

  1. Yummy girl! These look delicious.. & healthy too? So awesome cause I loooove tacos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo girl tacos are my fav too :) A little healthier if you don't fry the tortilla of course lol Have a great week!!

      Delete