TGiF!! Or....not. For me, it just means that I'm closer to the end of my week-long vacation, and even closer to having to return to the oficina on Monday. No bueno. lol
I do hope that everyone had a great 4th though. I relaxed, bbq'ed with the familia, and enjoyed some pretty fireworks after the rain finally cleared up. Yup...it rained on Wednesday night down here. Isn't that supposed to be a good sign? Or am I confusing that with the wedding day/rainy day myth? lol Either way, it was VERY welcome, even if it was just a one-nighter. I feel so used chicas!! ;) lol Anyhow, I DO have an awesome recipe to share with ya'll, but first, here are a few pics from my 4th.
|My precious nephew eating his home-made popsicle.|
|My niece and my godson having fun in the sprinkler.|
|My niece (making silly faces), and her cousin having a blast.|
|The clouds started rolling in towards the end of the day, and my|
grandfather's flag waved high in the stormy sky.
These were just a few of my favorite pics from the day. How did you all spend the holiday?
Yesterday evening we were going to have a bunch of family members over again for dinner. Mind you, this is a pretty common occurrence for me. lol 'Having family over for dinner', usually translates to 10+ people gathering together over good food. Maybe it's a Texas thing...but when I cook, I cook to feed to an army! lol
I created this recipe using the WW Recipe Builder on eTools again. Remember, even though it's a recipe I created following the WW guidelines, it doesn't mean that if you're not on the program, you can't try it. I'm all about the flavor, and satisfying, filling meals, for everyone's lifestyle. Note, I did not say diet. WW isn't a diet, but a lifestyle. Love it. :)
Here's my take on home-made chinese take-out, 'Rice Noodle Stir-Fry'. Remember, I was feeding 10+ people that night, so this recipe will give you plenty of servings!
1. KA.ME Rice Sticks. I bought these at Wal-Mart, and I found them in the 'Asian' section we have here. The package says 4 servings, and believe me it was more than enough. Prepare these per package instructions, and set aside after straining, and rinsing under cool water.
2. La Choy Water Chestnuts. Drain and set aside. Any brand will work fine.
3. HEB Central Market Safflower Oil. This is GREAT for stir-frys, and counts as a WW healthy oil.
4. Argo Corn Starch. This is used to thicken the sauce.
4. Argo Corn Starch. This is used to thicken the sauce.
5. Some of the produce I used. You can add or omit veggies per your preference, but it may affect the PP value of this meal.
6. Broccoli florets. I used frozen this time, but prefer fresh. Make sure they are somewhat thawed out before using them for this recipe.
7. Wash your peppers, deseed, and cut into long, thin, slices.
8. Wash your zucchini, and cut into slices similar to peppers.
9. Add shredded carrots to the bowl. I used the pre-packaged type.
10. Take a damp towel and clean off any dirt from your mushrooms. For this recipe I used plain ol' button mushrooms, but you can take your pick. Mushrooms are so filling, and yummy! Once clean, chop into quarters, stem and all.
11. Wash your green onions, and chop into small pieces.
At this point, you've prepped all your veggies, which is probably the most time consuming part of this recipe, but well worth it.
12. Cut your chicken into thin slices, or per your preference. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast, which is a lot healthier than using beef. Season with 1 tsp. of salt, and 1 tsp. of black pepper.
13. Pre-heat your skillet on high, using 1/2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. This is just to pre-cook your chicken. I actually used a wok for this recipe, but any large skillet will do. Chicas...this wok has been used sooo many times, but I LOVE it. It actually belongs to mi madre, and there is a great story behind the gifting of it to her...but another time/post.
Once your chicken is all cooked (browned slightly), set it aside in a large bowl. Now comes the fun part!
14. Add 1 tbsp. of safflower oil to your skillet, and heat on high. Once the oil is hot enough, add 1/3 of your zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms. Stir frequently, and season with 1 tsp. of salt, and 1 tsp. of black pepper. Sautee the veggies for about 4-5 minutes, so that they stay crisp, and fresh.
15. Next add in 1/3 of your thawed broccoli florets, water chestnuts, and green onions.
16. Take 1/2 tbsp. corn starch in a cup, and add 1/3 cup of water. Mix well. Using your spatula, form a 'pocket' in the center of the veggies, and add your liquid mixture. Then add 2 tbsp. of low sodium soy sauce as well. I used Kikkoman Soy Sauce, Less Sodium for this recipe, which I found at Wal-Mart. (gotta love Wal-Mart! Or as you'll often see me refer to as 'Wally-World') Cover and let cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
17. Uncover and add in 1/3 of your cooked chicken, and 1/3 of your rice noodles. You may have to rinse them under cool water again at this point, but make sure to strain them very well. Then add in 2 more tbsp. of soy sauce, toss it all together, and...
Yummmyyness...I know chicas. Soooo filling, full of flavors, and colorful! I love when my meals have bright pops of color in them. Makes my plate look even prettier. Repeat the process two more times, as this amount of ingredients will make 3 batches. I don't know about ya'll, but left-over chinese food is the BEST to me. So whether you're feeding a large group, or it's just you and your close ❤'ed ones, you'll be more than prepared.
Here's the 4-1-1 on this recipe for all my WW partners out there:
PointsPlus Value= 5
Serving= 1 cup
Yields approximately 16 servings.
We had a great time cooking, eating, and laughing that night. This meal is a great way to get everyone in the kitchen helping, especially with all the prep work involved. Plan ahead, pre-chop the night before, or wait and put your familia to work!
Hope you all get to try it out! Please let me know if you do, and what you thought chicas. I'm off to a pool party tonight...hopefully it will be the start to a FANTASTIC weekend.
Have a good one chicas!!
Be blessed...and stay blessed!!